Friday, January 2, 2009

Christmas Day

Christmas Day was quite the adventure. We started it out opening presents with Grandpa Phil. EZ actually got his presents back in Texas before we left, but we wanted him to have something to open so we bought a couple books and a puzzle for him. Netta didn't get to open anything, but I suspect she won't remember to hold it against us later in life. It was really great getting to spend a week with John's dad. His has been battling cancer and just a few weeks before Christmas things were not looking good at all, but his treatments worked better than even the doctor expected and by the time we arrived he was doing really well as things considered.


That afternoon John took the kids and I to the airport to head off to Pittsburgh while John stayed in Utah to spend a couple more days with his dad before heading back to work. After the fiasco that was our trip to Utah I wasn't very excited about flying across country by myself with two kids. We had a three hour flight from SLC to Chicago and then an hour flight from there to Pittsburgh. The first flight went pretty well and I was able to snatch an extra seat for Netta and take this super cute pic.
When we got off in Chicago things got a little dicey. They were really slow getting our stroller so I was waiting on the jet way holding Netta, two bags, and EZ by his monkey backpack/leash. Well EZ got loose and when I caught up with him he sat on he ground and refused to go back down the jet way to the stroller, so I just grabbed the leash and dragged him all the way back on his butt. Of course people didn't help and just stared, but I couldn't have cared less what people thought of me at that point. By the time we got the stroller I had 30 minutes to get us dinner and get to the other concourse. Of course EZ decided at that point that he didn't want to walk anymore so that was a bit stressful and I had to scold him by whispering threats in his ear as forcefully as possible. We finally made it on the flight and I guess EZ didn't like the AC vent blowing on his face because I looked over and found this (and he wasn't sleeping).
Thankfully my dad works for US Airways so he was able to meet me and the kids at the gate. When we got to the house there was a slew of presents under the tree for us and EZ's first one was a little tikes guitar. Well I have said before how much he loves guitar hero so he went crazy when he saw this present. He as so obsessed with it that he wanted nothing to do with opening the rest of his presents.
Netta also got some greats presents. She adores this mirror my mom got her. It plays this song "Who's that baby looking in the mirror?" over and over and over again. While the songs gets annoying after awhile, I still love it because it is pretty much guaranteed to distract her when she gets fussy.

It was a crazy day with all the traveling, but it was worth it to be able to have great Christmases with both sides of the family.

3 comments:

Rachelle said...

Wow! We flew Christmas day when Isaac was 3 months. It was crazy. glad you had a safe fun trip. the holidays are great!

Cynthia said...

your traveling with kids stories are hilarious! I can giggle at them because I didn't have to go through them-- glad you survived and got to see family to make the travels worth it.

Maile said...

Sounds like you had a fun - and busy - Christmas. When I'm traveling with the kids, I also could care less what anyone thinks of the things I choose to do. Whatever it takes to make it through!