Sunday, October 26, 2008

Enchanted Rock

I feel like I always start out my blogs saying something like "a week and a half ago". Well this post is no different. This time it is 2 weeks ago. Someday I will be on top of things. So yeah, 2 weeks ago we went camping with some people from church. Our friends the Larsens (EZ's friend Briton) were kind enough to share a camping site with us and all their gear. We went to Enchanted Rock State Park, which as you may have guessed, is home to a really big rock that you can hike.


I was leery about taking the kids camping and hiking, especially EZ. The camping part started out all right. We had a good dinner and smores and all that stuff. Then when it came time to put EZ to bed there was trouble. He sat in the tent and whined for about an hour before finally falling asleep at 11pm. John shared a tent with him and I shared one with Netta. EZ woke up every couple hours throughout the night because he kept rolling into John or into the side of the tent and then he was up and ready to go at 6:30am. Lucky for me Netta went right to bed and slept till 7:30am. I felt bad for John, but part of me thought it was a good thing, since he got a taste of what it's like to be a nursing mother with a newborn.


I was even more scared to take EZ hiking, because he isn't really all that adventurous. Oh and a little before we left on the hike he fell off a small bridge and landed on his head. Not a good way to start things out. Much to my surprise EZ did great. He was able to do most of the hike on his own and he seemed to really enjoy himself. The whole time I kept saying "I am so proud of EZ". I must really underestimate what he can do because he keeps surprising me by doing stuff I am sure he can't or won't do. My favorite part of the hike was when John told EZ to climb and EZ starting singing "sube". (I assume that's how you spell it). We were both confused and then I remember that Diego sings a song about climbing and that is how you say "climb" in Spanish. So now we see another very small benefit to letting EZ watch hours of Diego.


Of course I brought the camera with a dead battery, but luckily we also had our video camera so I was able to take some video of the hike. The first one is of us close to the top. I apologize for the noisy background. It was windy and I had no idea it was going to be so loud on the video. The second one is right at the end and you get a good view of what we climbed up. Sorry if these are lame, but of course they are exciting to us!




5 comments:

Maile said...

That is adventurous! Peter has been dying to take the kids camping for years, but I'm not a huge camper myself and I've worried about getting the kids to sleep in a tent. Now I have validation for my worries. =)

Rachelle said...

Isaac loves to camp. Playing in the dirt and running outside for days on end makes him the happiest boy alive. Sometimes he hasn't slept well and other times you can't wake him up. Eventually they are so tired they fall asleep no matter what.

Aubreydoll said...

It's so amazing to me when Bauer does stuff that I KNOW he "won't" or "can't" do! We must still think of these guys as babies and not the growing little boys they really are!

Dave, Katie, Kam, Alli said...

How Fun!! That's awesome that Netta slept well. I would be afraid of Kam being up all night. EZ is so hilarious with his sunglasses!

Susan said...

I love Enchanted Rock! So glad to hear about your adventure there.