Monday, August 31, 2009

Poor Netta

After all my talk about how hot it is and how my kids are never fully clothed, it may seem strange that I dressed Netta in this pretty thick tights for church. Well that is because of this . . .



Poor Netta was the first person in our house to fall victim to a notorious fire ant attack. We have all had a bite here or there, but nothing like this. It's been so hot that we haven't spent much time in the backyard, but just this past week it has started to cool off enough at night that I let the kids play on the back patio on Saturday. Netta has never ventured into the grass before, so I thought I was safe letting them play outside while I did some things in the kitchen. Well it didn't occur to me that the recent storm had blown one of her favorite toys into the grass and that she would go for it. I just heard this crying coming from outside and there was Netta standing in the middle of the yard with fire ants all over her legs. I felt so bad. Of course I got them off as quickly as I could, but it was too late. Luckily, the bites don't seem to bother her like they would an older child or adult. She doesn't even seem to notice them. It's just gross because they fill with puss and look like huge zits. The pictures don't truly convey how sick they look. My poor baby has deformed legs so she had to wear tights to Church and I have been putting her in pants as well. First because the bites are ugly and second because I don't want them to get scratched open by her crawling around. So as soon as John gets home, which is tonight thank goodness, he gets to tackle the ant problem in the back yard. Yippy.

8 comments:

Valerie and Christopher said...

poor baby! my kids got attacked on the back porch but only on their feet. Poor little netta, I just want to hug all over her! (but not on her ant bites! ouch!)

Aubreydoll said...

The poor little girl! It looks awful but at least it sounds like it bothers you more than her! I hope they go away asap!!

rachel said...

Aww! Poor little Netta. Fire ants are horrible! Hope she feels better soon!

Katie and Brad Kuykendall said...

my poor little miss netta! :( give her lots of hugs and kisses from me!

Cynthia said...

Oh my gosh! How scary. That is totally something I wouldn't even think about when letting the kids play in the backyard.

Anonymous said...

oh poor poor netta! those things hurt! I am glad they don't seem to bother her because she would be in extreme pain if they did. when i got one i read that to help them feel better, first rub hand sanitizer on them, followed by hydrocortisone. I did this and it worked better than anything else.

kentandnellie said...

Those look so painful, poor little baby! It's amazing how fierce ants can be. We just have the small, annoying black ones, but I can't stand them. I love the tights, but I hope those bites dry up soon for Netta's sake.

Dave, Katie, Kam, Alli said...

Oh my goodnes, I seriously wanted to cry when I read this. Poor little Netta...I hope they go away ok. I'm so glad she's ok. I have to say tho, she is so pretty!! She really is getting so big. Miss u guys!