Sunday, August 30, 2009

John Irving Eckerson

My dad's dad, John Irving Eckerson aka Grandpa E., passed away this morning, so I wanted to give a little tribute to him. My husband John is out of town and he called to see if I was ok and I am because I know that he lived a long full live to the age of 87 and he is in a better place. His mind had started to go a while ago and now his body finally gave up as well. Now he is isn't bogged down by a failing mind and a slow body and he is reunited with his wife and I am sure he is loving every minute of it. Here are some pics with him and EZ taken over the last 3 years and some thoughts about my Grandpa to go along with them. This first picture was taking when EZ was just 3 months old. We were visiting NY and went with my grandpa to see the local band play. They always play patriotic songs and the audience sings along. My grandpa sang loud and proud. He had an amazing voice and was very involved with his church and their choir. I was just so amazed that no matter how weak his body was his voice was still so strong and beautiful.

This next picture was taken when EZ was a year old. I think it is so cute the way he is looking at my grandpa. Grandpa E. loved EZ and whenever we would visit he would want to make sure he got pictures and that they were labeled with names and dates. He was very into keeping track of photos and family history. He did an amazing amount of genealogy work and even with his failing mind, he knew it was really important to keep track of names and dates for the benefit of himself and his posterity.

Here is 18 month old EZ with Granpda and Helen at the Candy Apply my grandpa's favorite restaurant. One of the things I actually remembered most about him was that he never cooked and we always went out or ordered in. I mean who can blame him. My Grandpa passed way over 20 years ago so he was living like a bachelor for quite some time.

Finally, the last picture I have of my Granpda is from last summer right after Netta was born. I am glad I got this one of him, my dad and EZ. My grandpa loved his family and would do anything for them. He will be missed, but I know he's got a bunch of family greeting him in heaven.

1 comment:

Aubreydoll said...

He sounds like a really sweet man and I'm sorry for your family's loss. I lost my grandpa 5 years ago and it's still hard for me to think about sometimes.