Friday, August 14, 2009

The Past Month Part 4: Visiting California

So after visiting my family I flew across the country by myself with the kiddies to meet up with John in California so we could visit his siblings that live there. Of course it sucked. After eating some lunch at the Pittsburgh airport we got to the gate 20 minutes before the flight took off, which is usually around when Southwest boards and they had already boarded the whole plane! I couldn't believe it. Then they kept yelling at me to hurry up, but I wasn't late. In fact they boarded so quickly that we had to sit on the plane waiting for the luggage to load before we could even take off. Of course it was a full flight so when we got on there weren't any seats together and it took over 5 minutes and the promise of lots of free alcohol to finally get someone to move so I could sit with my kids. Then EZ threw a royal tantrum and laid down in the middle of the aisle and refused to move. Oh the joy of traveling with kids. Luckily, God is merciful and EZ fell asleep right after take off and slept for over half of the 4 hour flight. That helped a lot and gave me a chance to regain my sanity. Initially, I was supposed to arrive 4 hours before John and somehow entertain the kids till he got there, but in a last minute justified panic, I had John change his ticket so he got in 4 hours before me. That was definitely inspired because when we got there they had lost our luggage and John was able to entertain the kids while I waited in line to get that taken care of. I already have plans to travel by myself with the kids at Christmas, but then after that I think I am done for a while.
Anyway, once we got settled we had a blast. Who couldn't have a blast when you live 5 minutes from the beach? EZ was a little more timid when it came to the beach and the water, which came as no surprise. Of course Netta just dove right in.

She loved it so much that she probably ate a couple pounds worth of sand every time we went. It was disgusting.




Like I said, EZ was a bit timid, but once he got warmed up to things he had a blast.

John's brother in law Casey plays pro beach volleyball and we were lucky enough to be there for one of his tournaments and it was awesome! Here are some pics from the first game. They won the match, but only after the second game went to 38-36 which is insane since beach volleyball usually only goes to 21, but you have to win by 2. It was really intense.








The next game, they got to play on the main court and we got to sit in the VIP section right up front.

The amazing part was that their second game went long again and this time they won 40-38, tying the record for the longest men's' game ever. Pretty impressive. We definitely got our moneys worth!

We also got to go to the Aquarium of the Pacific in Long Beach and it was amazing! EZ and Netta love animals so we try to go to zoos/aquariums whenever we can. However as you can tell in this picture they are not as fond of ginormous stuffed animals.


One more highlight of the trip that I don't have pictures of unfortunately was a surprise visit from John's dad. Well it wasn't a surprise to everyone else there, but we didn't realize he was making the trip down for John's nephew's baby blessing, so we were so excited to see him there. Living in Texas is awesome, but it does kind of isolate us from everyone so the more chances we have to see family the better.

1 comment:

Rachelle said...

Awesome! I guess you'll be staying at home for a while after all the traveling.