Wednesday, July 9, 2014

We Survived February

Let's just say that February was rough. The move officially happened mid-month and then all of a sudden this place I thought I could possibly live in forever, was no longer home. Luckily, my kids seem to be more resilient than I am and had basically no trouble adjusting to the move. Before we left Austin, we had to stock up on winter gear. When the shipment arrived the kids were very excited. They were sweating their butts off, but they insisted on parading around in it.


I got to go to one last event with Netta at her school. They had a special "read with your mom" time for the girls at the library. It was so cute to see all these girls reading in Spanish. I can't talk too much about it, because it still breaks my heart that we left that immersion program.


When we arrived in St. Joseph it was buried in feet of snow. This is the worst winter they have had in 40 years. We missed the polar vortex, thank goodness, but there was still more snow and missed school days to come after we got there. Like I said, the kids were super stoked about the snow and had to play in it the first chance they got. I think EZ's expression says it all.




The kids' started at their new school on Valentine's Day and I think having a party that day was a great way for them to meet their classmates and adjust to the new school. They are very excited to be attending "Brown School." Clearly it was made for us. Oh and it kills me that I am sending my kids to school in full blown snow gear. I really never thought that day would come, but here we are. The best part is that the kids get 3 recesses in the snow and then they still come home begging to play in it more.


EZ was super excited to build his first ever snowman. Unfortunately, this picture is actually of his second snowman. Kingston destroyed the first and is lucky to still be alive. 


John's niece Brittany has been living in Chicago for a few years with her family and of course they were moving back to Utah a week after we arrived. We are just 1 1/2 hours from Chicago so we were able to visit her one time before they left. It's a bummer they won't be living here longer and the funny things is this has actually happened to us before. When we were interning in Texas, John's sister Becky, who had lived in Galveston for 10 plus years was moving her family to Washington State and actually stopped to visit us in Austin as they made their way out of the state. We just can't win when it comes to living by John's family. 


Moving was hard and then having to live in temporary housing for 3 weeks made it even harder. It was really difficult to find a place that would rent to use for such a short time. We ended up finding a small small duplex. The guy was actually nice enough to rent us the side that he uses during the summer, which I didn't think would cause any problems, but then we arrived and realized that it was completely full of all his stuff, including all his food and we had really no place to put anything. This meant we ate out a lot and sadly this town doesn't exactly have the best restaurants or much variety. At least not ones that are kid friendly. It also meant the kids had no place to run around and if more then one of them was talking at the same time it sounded like they were all screaming. Luckily, we got to see our house before we closed on it and we were reminded of how good things are going to be. Conrad was absolutely in love with all of the cupboards and we couldn't keep him out of them. 


At the end of the month I celebrated my 33rd Birthday, which was a little bitter sweet since I didn't have any of my girlfriends to celebrate with, but luckily I had Netta to keep me company and get pedicures with. None of the nail places here will actually give someone her age a pedicure. They will only paint her toe nails, so she was a little disappointed. That's my diva.


No comments: