Saturday, May 30, 2009

EZ's Kickin Kung Fu Panda Party

So today was the much anticipated Kung Fu Panda birthday party. We decided to have a pool party since it's so frickin hot here and our friends the Krizins graciously let us have it at their pool. Their apartment has a sweet pool with a beach entry and some little fountains. It's perfect for kids. This was my first time planning a party and of course I wanted it to be all awesome and everyone to be so wowed by how cool my cake was and all that jazz and while it was awesome, I think I was aiming a little high there thinking I could wow people with my baking skills. I knew I wanted to do cupcakes in ice cream cones, because EZ has become obsessed with ice cream cones lately and it would mean less utensils and stuff to deal with at the party. So I searched online till I found some really cute panda cupcakes made using mini oreos for the ears and the black part of the eyes. So I bought all the stuff and decided to wait till this morning to make them. That was my first mistake, because of course I ended up running late and then the cupcakes took longer to bake then I expected and the batter kind of exploded all over the place while they were cooking, so I had quite a mess on my hands and no time to deal with it. Also I guess my kitchen got a little too hot with the oven on, because when I opened the icing it was like water. So we slapped icing on real quick and headed to the pool to finish decorating there. Well of course all the cupcakes fell over and then when I got there I realized I had no time to be fancy and that there was no way I was going to be able to fit 4 mini oreos on these little cupcakes. So I did the best I could and here is what we got:

Not exactly what I had in mind, but good enough. Also when we got there EZ was being his 3 year old self and refused to get in the pool with his friends and instead wanted to eat the cupcakes and all the chips. Which he did.



Finally, things calmed down and we had a really good time eating pizza and swimming. Here is a pic of some beach babes.

The Birthday Boy
EZ'z Buddies. It only took 3 attempts to get them all kind of looking at the camera.
EZ blowing out the candle. And yes we are that ghetto that I just held it for lack of a better place to put it.
Netta especially enjoyed the cupcakes. EZ left one sitting on a ledge, which she found and destroyed before anyone could stop her.

In the end, despite the hectic start, it was an awesome party and I think EZ and everyone had a blast. Thanks to the Krizins and everyone who came!

3 comments:

Valerie and Christopher said...

Soooo fun! We were so sad to miss it! :( We have a present to drop off though. It may have to be dropped off tomorrow since Kate threw up all over me this morning
PS - I am very impressed by your party planning awesomeness. ("there is no charge for awesomeness...or attractiveness")

Dave, Katie, Kam, Alli said...

Oh I'm glad it turned out. I have to say those cupcakes were pretty darn cute, more than I could of done:) I just bought Kam's cake from Meijer. You look so good in that picture with Netta...hot mamma:) Happy Birthday to EZ!

Sparkle Mama said...

So sorry we missed this :) Looked like fun! I love the cupcakes - oh yeah! KUNG FU fun!