Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Austin City Limits

Austin City Limits is a 3 day music festival and it is out of control. There are so many bands and so many people. Last year John's nephew Winston came to write for the music blog he works for and John got to go with him. This year I didn't want left out of all the fun so John and I both got 3-day passes and then Winston came and John's other nephew Parker and then a guy named Chris that no one had ever actually met in person, but works for the same blog as Winston, came as well. So we had a full house. I was really excited about getting to go this year, but I quickly learned that I am not as into music or concerts as I used to be. I am just not hip and I am fine with that. They moved the concert up to September from October and it was so frickin hot and there was just way too many sweaty people who kept touching me and it was just gross. Plus parking is a beast and you have to walk forever to get to and from the concert and on Saturday we took the kids in the morning so I walked with them, then after a couple hours walked back to the car and drove them home, set them up with a babysitter, drove back to the concert and made the hike again. I get tired again just thinking about it. Oh and I learned that I prefer the radio version of many songs, because I am not particulary fond of the F word. The plus side is that the kids get in for free and there are a ton of activities for them. Next year I think I will save a ton of money on tickets and babysitters by buying just a one day pass for me and taking the kids that day. John is apparently hipper than I am and loved every minute of it and will most likely keep getting 3 day passes as long as we live here. Anyway, here are some pics starting with a rare photo of John and I together, since one of us is usually behind the camera.





They give away a lot of freebies and by far the most popular with my kids were the sunglasses.














The designated kids' area is called Austin Kiddie Limits and it is awesome. They have different areas set up for playing instruments, getting tattoos, doing crafts and all kinds of good stuff. They also have a stage set up where performers can come and do kid friendly acts. They had this 12 year-old boy there singing the blues and playing the guitar. I have never seen anything like it in my life. People with talent like that just blow my mind. Anyway, here are some pics of the kids enjoying all the great activities. First, Netta showing off her airbrush tattoo.



Here is EZ painting his magnet. It looks like he is blowing on the paint, but really he is just yelling NO at King is who is attempting to steal his magnet.






There were a couple areas for playing instruments and one of those was a drum circle. All three kids got really into it.




EZ was so focused on drumming and cowbell that he refused to smile. I think he would have stayed there all day.




I love this one of King and John. He really looks up to his rockin' dad.



One of the other areas was for spraying painting your hair. EZ wanted nothing to do with it, but Netta was all over it. Of course she had to go with pink.







The other instrument area was set up by Austin School of Rock and the kids could play all the typical rock band instruments. Netta basically spent the whole time on the mic. The girl spends most of the day singing made up songs so that was appropriate. EZ decided to give everything a try, but again if he was playing he refused to smile. He takes his music seriously.









While this was not exactly the experience I was hoping for, getting to take the kids there was awesome and this definitely will be a Brown family tradition.




No comments: