Saturday, December 10, 2011

Back to School

This year was a big school year for all of us. EZ started kindergarten. Netta started preschool and I went back to teaching Arabic at Austin Community College. We were really excited for EZ to start his Spanish immersion program, but I was also super stressed. I cried a couple of times just thinking about EZ being at school all day and me having no control over what he was doing. I never thought I would be that mom. In fact, I had always said how I couldn't wait for EZ to start kinder so I could have less kids at home and that was true, but for some reason the reality finally set in and I was struggling for a while. Of course it took about 2 days of EZ being at school for me to get over it. He LOVES his program and I can already tell his is learning a ton. The only downside is that we have to drive him to another school in the district and pick up and drop of can be a logistical nightmare. So a move closer to his school may be in our future. Oh that and elementary school starts at 7:40 here, which I had never heard of and it is killing me. Anyway, here he is beaming and ready to go on the first day.

Netta also started preschool, but there was no stressed involved in that because she has been begging to go for the last year and I have no problem with someone else entertaining her for a couple hours twice a week. Plus she is going to EZ's preschool and we know that they do a great job.



I started back to school as well and that ended up being way more stressful than I thought it would be. First they hired me and then called me a week later and told me that I am not qualified to teach. I was really confused, because why would they have interviewed me? But it turns out they shouldn't have. The accrediting board for ACC says that a language teacher has to basically have a masters in the language and since my masters is in language teaching with an emphasis in Arabic they say I need to go back to school and take more graduate level Arabic classes, which is just not going to happen. So I get to teach this semester and that is it. Then the authors of the book had to go and write a new addition, which I received on the Friday before classes started. The last time they wrote a new addition the changes were minor, but this time they completely revamped it and I had to spent all weekend completely redoing my syllabus and schedule. And I probably won't ever even teach this class again. Ugh I was not a happy camper and it did not help that I was also freaking out about EZ. So it was a stressful start, but once things got rolling everything worked out fine and I am excited about getting to teach again.

1 comment:

Cynthia said...

Netta is looking so much more grown up. I can't believe how fast time goes.
It sounds like this past school year has been busy..hopefully you will have a more laid back January.