Sunday, December 27, 2009

Christmas Time is Here

John had to work Christmas week this year, so we decided I should make one final pilgrimage to Pittsburgh with the kids, so they could celebrate Christmas with my family. Next year, with 3 kids, traveling by myself is just out of the question and so is the cost of airfare, so we will most likely be celebrating in Texas. I realized while we were there that I have been quite spoiled. I have spent 28 straight Christmases with my family, the most of any of my siblings. We were just lucky that John went to grad school driving distance from my parents, so we could spend half of Christmas break in Utah with his family and the other half in Pittsburgh with mine. Those were the days.

One of my hopes in going home was that the kids would get to play in snow and we were not disappointed. We seriously got dumped on while we were there. I realized that while I like having a white Christmas, I would much rather just look at it then actually have to be in it or drive in it. The kids had a blast playing in the snow. Here is Netta all bundled up. Poor girl had to wear just jeans and a fleece since we obviously have no need for winter gear here. Don't worry though she had lots of layers underneath.


Here is my dad pulling her around the backyard. Trust me it's him.

When we first started getting ready to go outside, EZ refused to put on his gear on. In true EZ fashion he had to do things on his own time and once he decided he was ready to go outside he refused to come back in. He just stood outside playing in the driveway while my dad shoveled.

EZ's favorite indoor activity was playing with the massive collection of singing snowmen that my mom has amassed from Hallmark over the years. There are many more than are shown in the picture and EZ's favorite thing was to get them all going at once. I keep thinking we should be collecting them, but then on second thought our house is loud enough as is it.

Here is a pic of Netta and I getting ready for the annual Christmas Eve open house. My parents aren't from Pittsburgh and they started having this party when I was little for all those transplants who didn't have any family in town. We don't have a fancy Christmas dinner. Instead we have the left overs from the Christmas Eve party and I love it.

On Christmas morning whoever is handing out the gifts gets the wear the Santa hat. EZ was actually handing them out, but he refused to wear the hat so Netta took over that duty.

We flew home Christmas Day and got home in enough time to have another round of presents with John at our house. The kids were so good on the flights. Everyone around was amazed and so was I. It was truly a Christmas miracle. John cracks me up because when I called and he said he was setting out the gifts he said that he didn't like wrapping so he was putting the gifts in bags. I thought he meant gift bags, but no he just meant grocery bags. Luckily the kids are too young to care. They just want to play with the toys. They couldn't care less what they are wrapped in. Here is a pic of EZ enjoying the spoils. He is sitting in his new tent from Grandma Sharon and Grandpa Steve and eating candy from his stocking, while watching the Grinch, which is Aunt Rachel got for him.

It was obviously a lot warmer here when we got back, but Netta loved the snow and her winter gear so much that she insisted on wearing it around the house. I have to hide it now, because whenever she finds it she wants to wear it and that is not a good thing after she has just taken a bath. Talk about bad hat head.

3 comments:

Aubreydoll said...

Yeah...Matt put his Secret Santa gift in a plastic bag this year, too... :)

Cynthia said...

Wow you have been busy!! Lots of flights. Where do you get all the energy to fly pregnant by yourself with kids?!?
Netta looks adorable in her snow outfit.
And I laughed outloud when I read about your husband wrapping the presents in grocery sack bags. I hate wrapping too so I think it was a justifiable solution.

Ryan and Bethany said...

You are a brave woman to face a long flight alone with children! You are my hero. But it is all worth it to see smiles on your kiddies sweet faces I am sure! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!