Sunday, September 21, 2008

Bumpa Steve, Bumma Sharon and Ike Come to Visit

My parents came to visit about a week and half ago to visit and we had a blast. As you have probably already guessed EZ refers to them as Bumpa Steve and Bumma Sharon. Both kids loved getting showered with attention and I loved having people around while John was at work.

It was a crazy time for a visit because of Hurricane Ike, which hit while they were here and we thought that we were going to be seeing some of the affects of it in Austin. They kept forecasting that we would get tons of rain, but in the end the storm hit ground and headed north east with it's affects completely missing us. All we got was some wind and the weather cooled down, which was actually a blessing. Finally, we were able to go for walks outside because it dropped to the low 80s. I am not sure how I feel about the fact that the weather here actually got better because of a hurricane which devastated so many people. Just shows the power and unpredictability of mother nature. What makes it even crazier is that my parents actually witnessed the affects of Ike when they got back to Pittsburgh. As it headed north it hit a cold front and my parents got home to find the power had gone out and wind gusts up 90mph had hit by their house and ripped apart the big tree in our front yard.

Anyway, besides spending a lot of time watching the news about the hurricane, we also got to show my parents around the Austin area, which of course included lots of BBQ and greasy Mexican food again, but it also included two trips to Whole Foods, which we love. Austin is the headquarters of whole foods so there is a smaller one in North Austin and then the huge one attached to the headquarters downtown. We visited both and ate lots of yummy food, most of which although "all natural" can in no way be good for you since it comes from the fancy pastry shop. I guess we just feel better saying we got it at whole foods.
My parents also got to relive the fun of life with little kids, which of course includes bath time. Both EZ and Netta love it and I have started bathing them together, which EZ thinks is hilarious. He especially likes to run around after the bath with his towel hanging from his head yelling "Super EZ!!!" as seen in the picture below.

Netta loves bath time too, but unfortunately her rolls keep her from achieving super hero status.


I have to thank my parents for spoiling the kids with attention. The adjustment to being a stay at home mom, having two kids and taking on home ownership has been a bit rocky at times. Having them here gave John and I both some much needed rest and my handy dad helped me finish some decorating projects and other odds and ends that I kept meaning to do, but never seem to get around too. Oh and we couldn't have gotten them done without my mom keeping the kids occupied and away from the hammer. So thanks mom and dad!

Here is a pic of Netta with my mom and then EZ with my dad. The bond seems to be strongest along the gender lines. My dad helped EZ find a new love for his drums and was actually able to keep EZ so entertained that he refrained from wearing his guitar all day like he usually does.


Sadly my parents had to leave and as soon as they did EZ went back to his ways. He can't even take off the guitar to watch tv for fear that he might miss the chance to rock out to his favorite theme songs. I also love this picture because Netta is started to be able to do more and here she looks like she is following in big brother's Diego and Dora loving footsteps.

3 comments:

Aubreydoll said...

What a great visit (aside from the hurricane part)! And I still can't believe the rolls on Netta!

Joey said...

Oh my, is little Johnny Brown 8 feet tall? I'm a family friend from Arizona, ask your husband about the time he fell off a roof and was carried home by some unknown lady who force fed him lunch and made him play video games! I swear I'm not making it up. By the way, you have a beautiful family John.

Dave, Katie, Kam, Alli said...

I was hoping you guys didn't get slammed with the hurricane. Family visiting is the best. That last pic of EZ and Netta is the cutest.