Sunday, November 16, 2014

Mom Gets Away

It's no secret that this move has not been easy for me, but luckily in July my awesome friend Lara flew up from Austin to meet me in Chicago for a girls weekend and it was amazing!!! We got to live it up in style at the Hilton Garden Inn on the Magnificent Mile thanks to her husband's sweet hotel points. Gotta have some perks to a husband who has to travel a lot. We also got the hook up from one of her friends who got us tickets to see the Cubs play and hats to boot. 


Of course we did all the touristy stuff like the Aquarium, the Field Museum, the John Hancock Tower and the Bean. I almost felt guilty doing all this stuff I know my kids would love without them, but not guilty enough to actually want them there ;)






One thing we didn't know when we planned our trip was that the weekend we picked was Taste of Chicago, a huge food festival. This was a gift from God after how much I have struggled with the lack of restaurants in St. Joe. We ate there 2 of the days and we would have eaten there all 3, but it got rained out one of them.
It was also the weekend of the World Cup and since Lara's mom is German it was a really big deal for her. We didn't know where we wanted to watch it since we didn't want to go to a loud bar, but we just happened to stumble upon an practically empty bar in a fancy hotel that let us hang out and happened to have sweet appetizers for free if you just bought one drink. We really got our money's worth out of our Diet Cokes. 
It was so awesome to spent time with a great friend eating great food. I am proud to say I only cried a little when I got in the car after dropping her off at the airport.


No comments: