Friday, July 8, 2011

EZ's Graduation

Back on July 8th I said I was going to make the most of my niece being here to take time and update the blog. Whoops it is now July 18th and I am just getting around to writing another post. Oh well. So back in May EZ graduated from preschool. You may think it's silly to have a preschool graduation and I would have agreed, but then I went to it and got all teary-eyed and proud of my baby boy so I guess it was pretty cool after all. They had each class wear different colored t-shirts and as they walked down the aisle to the front they were playing "Somewhere over the Rainbow" by Israel Kamakawiwo'ole. I have no idea why but for some reason that song and watching EZ just got the tears flowing.
I think part of the reason I got so emotional was that literally as I was sitting waiting for the graduation to start I got a text from my friend letting my know that EZ had gotten into the Spanish immersion kindergarten that we had been praying he would get into. We found out about the program in April and as soon as we did we knew we wanted EZ in. It is part of our school district but there is only one class offered at one elementary school. There is a lottery for spots and when you sign up to be in it you have to commit to keeping your child in the program for 6 years. Right before the lottery I found out that there were around 22 kids applying and only 10 spots and by some miracle EZ got one. And I mean miracle because we had 3 other friends apply and none of them were selected.
Anyway, during the graduation they gave out awards to each student and EZ was given the "funny bone" award, which of course we agree with. In the program they listed what each child wants to be when they grow up and EZ said he wants to be a "boxing player". We can thank the Wii for that. I tried to get a picture of EZ's class afterwards and as you can see it was very hard to get a good picture. Of course hardly any one was looking at the camera and some kids were even crying. So this one is as good as it gets.

In the pictures EZ is standing next to one of his best friends Bradley. We love Bradley's family. I have become good friends with his mom Maggie and Netta loves his little brother Sammy. As soon as Netta found out we were going to EZ's school she insisted on bringing her back pack.


They all have a blast together. I think King really wanted in on the action.

Finally, I have to say how much I loved EZ's teacher Ms. Laura. She was so kind to EZ and at the end of the year she sent home a report card with a personal letter about EZ which was so sweet that it had me in tears as well. Here is a picture of EZ with his teacher and his friend Emme. Apparently, he was really excited about having his picture taken.


1 comment:

Katie and Brad Kuykendall said...

That kid's smile is freakin hillarious! I literally can not stop laughing over here!