Friday, March 6, 2015

Pre-Christmas Fun

The 3rd grade classes at Brown put on a production of the Nutcracker. It was a really cute version where all the songs have lyrics and each kid either had a speaking part or a dancing part. EZ was very excited to be a toy soldier. He had to have a black turtleneck and let me tell you that is not an easy thing to find. I didn't want to pay a lot for one, but even if I had been willing to pay a ton it didn't matter because no stores around here had any. Thankfully, his school has a facebook page where I posted asking where people found their's and the librarian posted that she had one we could borrow. I am so grateful for such helpful people! EZ is the 2nd from the right on the pic below. It was pretty much impossible to get a good pic or good video for that matter, but EZ and all the kids did a great job. It was crazy how many people showed up to watch the show. The gym was standing room only and we had to have kids on laps to all fit. Luckily, EZ's part was in the beginning because by about half way through Conrad was all funned out so we spent the rest of the time running in the halls.


So I am slowly starting to adjust to the grocery stores here. It has taken almost a year, but I no longer want to cry every time I go grocery shopping and I no longer wander around lost and continually unable to find what I need. Don't get me wrong, I would kill for an HEB, but I can work with Meijer. The kids love to get to ride this horse at Meijer and I love that it only costs a penny. For Christmas they had this special display up and you could take a picture of your kid and then post it online and enter to win some contest. Well that contest part never happened, but we did take some fun pics. EZ had an especially fun time.





Now I normally do everything possible to avoid taking all 4 kids to the store, but this time I had no choice because John got to spend the second week of Dec in Italy! There was a possibility that he was going to go there right before we went to Utah for Thanksgiving and I was going to have to fly to Utah by myself and have him meet us there. Thankfully that did not happen. Now being gone this close to Christmas wasn't exactly ideal, but it was way better timing then the November trip would have been. Of course he spent most of his time working and didn't get to really do much sight seeing, but he got to eat some amazing food! Italy is on my bucket list so hopefully I will get to go with him there sometime.


With John gone, we were left to do all the Christmas decorating on our own. Keeping all the kids inline was a little difficult and some decorations never made it out of the boxes, but we got enough up to make everyone happy. Of course, all I wanted was a picture of everyone in front of the tree and it was Conrad's turn to be the one who refused to cooperate. 


We watched a bunch of Christmas movies and one night the kids brought down their sleeping bags for a little movie party. Conrad really wanted to share a sleeping bag with Netta and I don't know why he does't have a shirt on, but it was really cute. Chances are he spilled something on his shirt, because lately if he spills a drop of anything on his clothes he has to take them off, so he is running around naked a lot.


 Netta and John get to spend a lot of quality time together after he picks her up from dance class. She always seems to get him to take her out for dinner or a treat. Sometimes I will wonder what is taking so long and when he finally gets home he says "Netta wanted hot chocolate" and apparently that is all she has to say to get what she wants from her dad. But let's be honest, he just wants some hot chocolate, too. Her Netta is on one of the post-dance treat runs showing off her now 2 missing teeth. She is loved all the attention and everyone's "All I want for Christmas is my 2 front teeth" comments. 


I am really impressed with Netta's dance teacher Ms. Lisa at The Citadel. Netta loves class so much and she is learning a ton. They did a little mini-performance of "Twas the Night Before Christmas." Netta was super stoked to get to be Rudolph, because she got to be the head of the line and was the only one with a glowing nose. She hounded me relentlessly to make sure I went to the Dollar Store and got her one. I ended up getting the last one and I am glad I didn't have to face her wrath if they had been sold out ;)


There is a little and I mean little house they set up in downtown St. Joe with a Santa inside that the kids can deliver letters to and take pictures with. This Santa was legit with his own real beard and all. He was also a miracle worker because somehow we were able to get a good picture of all 4 kids together on the first try. Each kid also got a coupon for a free chocolate bar from the South Bend Chocolate Factory. Score!



After Santa we made our way down to the carousel to get a picture with a live reindeer. It was crazy busy and John was stuck at work so we rode the carousel first to kill some time. 




The line to see the reindeer was out the door and I tried to convince the kids that we should just go to the children's museum instead, but EZ was dead set on meeting that reindeer so we made it work. Luckily, John finally was able to make it once we were about half-way through the line and he could take over chasing Conrad, who I had already lost like 3 times. We got a picture of our whole family with the reindeer, but of course I can't find it right now, so here is one of EZ and the second reindeer who was just for petting.



No comments: